On 31 January 2020 (Brexit), the UK left the EU with an approved Withdrawal Agreement (WA). As a result of Brexit, your right of residence as a UK national has changed. You are no longer an EU citizen. This means that you will need a residence document to continue to live in the Netherlands after the transition period. The transition period ended on 31 December 2020.

At the end of December 2020 the EU and the UK reached an agreement on their trading relationship. Brexit with a ‘deal’ also refers to this trade agreement.

Transition period after Brexit

The transition period started on the date of Brexit and lasted up to and including 31 December 2020. During this period all UK nationals with lawful residence in the Netherlands did not need a residence document. According to the Withdrawal Agreement they could continue to live, work and study in the Netherlands on a valid passport.

Residency in the Netherlands after the transition period

Starting on 1 January 2021, you and all other UK nationals and their family members living in the Netherlands need a residence document to live, work or study here. The Withdrawal Agreement (WA) applies to you if you came to live in the Netherlands on or before 31 December 2020.

Before Brexit you had a right of residence as an EU citizen in the Netherlands. As a result of Brexit you are no longer an EU citizen. You will need a residence document to continue living, working and studying in the Netherlands starting on 1 January 2021. This also applies to UK students whose study makes it necessary to continue their temporary residence in the Netherlands after 31 December 2020.

The deadline for applying for residency under the Withdrawal Agreement

The WA provides for a grace period to apply for a residence document. You can apply for a residence document until 30 June 2021. If you have not already done so, apply for residency as soon as possible. Then you can use your residence document to easily show that you are entitled to live in the Netherlands starting on  1 January 2021. The Withdrawal Agreement states that you will keep your rights under the agreement, if your application is pending.

Want to speak to an expert regarding your immigration needs, please, contact us!